The discovery of the Basilica dates back to 24 January 1888, during agricultural activities on the island, the ruins of an ancient building
were discovered. The discovery initially unearthed a mosaic floor measuring about 32 square meters.
The then Military Governor, General Hipòlito Llorente, ordered the area to be cordoned off to
protect the find. Subsequently the mosaic was transferred to the mainland, to protect it from
the elements, and can now be found in the Menorcan Museum in Mahon.
At first the discovery was thought to be a Roman Villa or Hebrew Church but after intensive studies
by Dr Palol the remains were identified as those of a Paleocristic Church, dating from the Sixth Century,
such as those found in
Son Bou and
Fornàs de Torrelló, close to Mahon Airport.
The island is now, by Royal Decree, a National Historical, Archaeological and Artistic Monument.
Leave the Basilica
Visit Hospital Island