The Castle of Santa Agueda (the name is based on the Arabic name "Sen Agaiz") was built on a plateau 264 meter above sea level by the Arabs from the Caliph of Cordoba. They had defeated the Roman occupiers, and this hill, the third highest in Menorca but the second most important after El Torro, was an vital element in protecting the island from a northern invasion. They built an amazing palace to defend themselves from the invaders and for Arabian chief to holiday with musicians, thinkers, poets and artists from the Arabian world in there newly acquired Island they calledManûrqa.
Old Roman Road
It is uncertain when the castle was built but it is believed to have been about 1232.So successful were the castle's defences that it was the last place to fall when the Islandwas invaded in 1287 by King Alfons III of Aragon. At some stage a chapel was built near to the castle and dedicated to Saint Agatha. After the castled was destroyed by Alfons' grand-nephew King Peter IV of Aragon around 1343 the castle was abandoned and by the begining of this millenium it had fallen into complete ruin.
Like many ancient sites Santa Àgueda has evolved many legends and myths. The hill is said to be haunted, it is also claimed to covered in magic springs and holes in the ground which are bottomless.
Details of Roman Road
Old Ruined Tower
Another myth regarding Santa Àgueda tells of women climbing the mountain to pray to Saint Agatha who was believed to be ablechest aches. Another myth describes how she had a silver lamp called "llàntia", which was used to protect seamen and fishermen who used the hill top to navigatewhen far out to sea.
The favouite legend sates that hidden under the castle is a treasure in gold called "Vadell d´or". It is a treasure in the form of a golden calf which has a magic sword stuck in its side. The Arab people are supposed to have buried this treasure some time during their period of occupation. Some people claim the treasure dates back to Biblical times.
In order to visit this unique hill take the road from Ferrerias and Ciutadella. Take the turn for Els Alocs and continue until you reach an abandoned building.This building was a rural school in the past and marks the start of a primitive path to the top of the hill. This path in places is on the old Roman Road laid over two thousand years ago. The climb will take about 45 minutes for the avaerage visitor, but the view from the top is macnificent.
Ruins of Santa Agueda